Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fall Foliage in Summit County

Welp, the leaves are almost gone, the temps are finally cooling off and I am pasty white again (blast!).

Let's reflect on a few weeks ago, when the high country was in all it's beautiful, autumn glory. I feel super lucky that I live in the mountains during this season, when all I have to do is look out my window to see hundreds of yellow and orange asssspens. Today, I have composed for you, what is in my opinion, a guide to the best fall foliage in Summit County. Prepare to be wowed.

1.) Boreas Pass Road (or as I call it, Aspen Alley). This is located in Breckenridge and is quick and easy to get to. Drive Boreas Pass Road until it turns into dirt, and that's where the aspens start. Boreas Pass Road dead ends at a tiny, little town called Como, which sits almost just west of CO 285. Driving the whole road takes about an hour-and-a-half. There is a tasty restaurant (the only restaurant) in Como, called the Como Depot. Drive the road. Take pictures. Eat there. Have fun.
Meet Aspen Alley. Gawgeous.

2.) 4 O'Clock Run: This is located in Breckenridge. In the winter it's a ski run. In the fall, it's a fabulous, fall, foliage site to see. Aspens everywhere, wildlife, views, wonderful.
Soft grass blowing against the brown, weathered fence. Poetry. 

3.) Pence Miller Trail: I discovered this after running the Breckenridge Octoberfest 5k course. It's amazing. It runs parallel to Highway 9 and you get view of Mount Baldy, the town and so many asssspens.
Are those tiny, little, golden angels up there? Oh no, there just the yellow aspen leaves.

4.) Lake Dillon: From Lake Dillon, you can see tons of amazing fall foliage. There's aspens from every direction if you're actually in the lake. 360 views fa sho.
Sunshine, on my shoulders, makes me happy, like I should be....

5.) Mt. Royal/Mt. Victoria/Peak 1 Trails: All three of these mountains start at the same trail, and it's my favorite in all of Summit County. Located in Frisco, the trail starts on the bike back just east of Main Street. Easy, awesome hiking, affording fantastic views and fall colors.
Yellows, golds, oranges galore

6.) My Apartment: Bank of the West: The views from my house are legit. My rooftop deck gives me 360 views of Breck and the mountains surrounding it. The view from the parking lot ain't bad either...
Panorama from my deck. Not too shabby...
View from Bank of the West/my house's parking lot. Boomshakalaka.

I hope you enjoyed my guide to fabulous, fall foliage. I'll leave you with a pic of Ziggy's and me,  enjoying a moment of pure, unadulterated, autumn joy. xx

Ashley: "So much fun!" Ziggy: "Squirrel?"








No comments:

Post a Comment