Monday, October 29, 2012

Ashley's Homemade Burrito Bowl

Yes I know that is a lot of sour cream. Sorry I'm not sorry.
Last week, as I was watching TV, an enticing Taco Bell commercial caught my attention. Taco Bell I thought, am I really interested in something the fast food chain, Taco Bell has to offer? I pondered this for a while.

The commercial in question featured celebrity chef, Lorena Garcia, who created their new Cantina Bowl, which is essentially Taco Bell's version of Chipotle's burrito bowl. Now I'm not going to lie, I'm not a fan of fast food. I find Taco Bell to be especially gross, the way it stinks up your car for hours after the food has been eaten and disposed of. However, the commercial made it look damn tasty.

So what did I do you ask? I made my own version, inspired by that spicy, little Latina, Lorena Garcia from Taco Bell. The results? Delicious and nutritious. The verdict, thank you Lorena and Taco Bell for this burrito bowl inspiration.

Ashley's Homemade Burrito Bowl
Makes 4 servings

INGREDIENTS:

2 chicken breasts
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
2 ears of fresh corn
1 green pepper, diced
1 cup spinach
salt and pepper to taste
sour cream
tortilla chips

Guacamole
2 avocados
1 cup cilantro, chopped (I LOVE cilantro)
1 tbsp lime juice
salt and pepper to taste

Pico de Gallo
3 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, chopped
1 tbsp lime juice

DIRECTIONS:

On high heat, boil a large pot of water. Once boiling, add a pinch of salt. Husk the corn. Add corn to the boiling water. Let boil about 20 minutes, until it's done. With a sharp knife, cut corn off of husk and put into a bowl.

For the guacamole, cut avocados in half, remove pit and mash in a bowl. Add chopped cilantro and lime juice. Mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Combine all the pico de gallo ingredients in a bowl. Stir together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

On medium heat, add black beans to a pan to warm.

Turn on grill to medium/high heat. Salt and pepper the chicken breast liberally (this is what gives the chicken flavor). Grill chicken breast for 5-6 minutes, per side, until it's done. Slice breasts into strips.

In 4, individualized servings bowls, add desired amounts of beans, corn, green pepper and chicken. Top with spinach, pico de gallo, guacamole and sour cream. Serve with a side of chips to garnish. Enjoy!






1 comment: