Monday, April 1, 2013

Candied Walnuts


Omg, I did it. With the help and guidance of Freutcake, I finally mastered the art of the candied walnut. I'm not going to lie, in the past, I have struggled with candying anything. Due to how fickle candy is, the perfect texture, flavor and consistency can be ruined in a mere 15 seconds too long on the burner. I have been responsible for more burnt batches of candied whatever than I would like to admit. To be honest, I was just about ready to give up on the art of candying, as I don't have a candy thermometer. But today was different. Today was the day I conquered candy, and oh how sweet it was.

Apparently candying is simple. You just melt sugar in a pan until it is just melted and golden, add your walnuts and remove im-me-di-at-el-y. The trick to these candied walnuts is all about the time. Stop melting the sugar before you think it's done. Remove it from the heat as soon as it's all melted and you will prevent the burning. Trust me, I have learned this the hard way. Now you go do it. Good luck. I believe in you.





Candied Walnuts (adopted from Freutcake)
makes 30 candies

INGREDIENTS

1/2 walnuts halves (or any nut you like)
1/4 sugar
pinch salt

DIRECTIONS

Toast nuts in an oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Allow to cool and set aside.

Add sugar to a saucepan (have walnuts nearby, ready to quickly add to the pan as soon as the sugar melts). Cook sugar on medium heat and stir continuously as it begins to melt. As soon as all of the sugar is completely melted (the color should be a medium amber), add the walnuts to the pan. Quickly stir and coat each piece with the sugar mixture.

As soon as the walnuts are coated, spread them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Use two forks to separate the walnuts from each other, working very quickly. Sprinkle the nuts with salt. Allow to cool completely, firming in the freezer if need be. When completely cool, break into desired pieces and enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment