Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Auntie Danimal's Almost Sopapillas

I hope everyone had a very merry Cinco de Mayo. I realized though, as I was sitting on my bum, sippin' these and eating these, that it was unfair and inconsiderate of me to give you Cinco de Mayo dinner and drink recipes without giving you a dessert recipe. Wow guys, sorry for not thinking. Let me make it up with an (almost) authentic Mexican dessert recipe straight from the Danimal's mouth.

Sopapillas, or as I like to call them, "soapy-pee-pees." are wonderful, aren't they? Light, fluffy and sweet, without giving you a toothache. And don't even get me started on the topping possibilities. Honey, whipped cream, cinnamon/sugar, ice cream and the list goes on. I can eat, like, five in one sitting. I mean, I'm not trying to brag, but I am sort of a soapy-pee-pee eating machine. But, and there is always a but, it can be kind of embarrassing to eat that many soapy-pee-pees in front of people at a restaurant. I would love to be able to fry up my own soapy-pee-pees in the comfort of my own home. But, as we've discussed before, frying scares me, and I just won't do it.

Auntie Danimal to the rescue. As I was proclaiming my love for soapy-pee-pees to my roomie Danielle this past winter, but how unfortunate that love is, since I don't fry my own food, she gave me the best piece of news I had heard in a while. She told me she makes a "modified," version of the soapy-pee-pees I love. An "almost" soapy-pee-pee if you will. I was estatic. I was psyched. I asked her to make them for me right away and she did, and they were wonderful. And now I shall present them to you.

Start with some butter. 1 tbsp is good, but if you feel like being crazy, 3 is better.
Make sure the cinnamon/sugar is handy, the heart and sole of the soapy-pee-pee.
Add the tortilla to your lubed up (with butter people) skillet.
Add the honey. Don't be scurred
Add the cinnamon/sugar. It's the right thing to do.
Check out that buttery, sugary goodness, a sexy masterpiece.
Plate it! It's so good you don't even need to add whipped cream or ice cream.
But actually you do. Start with a dollop, and add more as needed. Go with your bad self.

Auntie Danimal's Almost Sopapillas
makes 1 sopapilla

INGREDIENTS:

1 tortilla
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp cinnamon/sugar
*optional whipped cream and ice cream for topping

DIRECTIONS:

Add butter to a skillet and turn the burner to medium-high heat. Put the tortilla in the skillet and fry for 2-3 minutes, until the tortilla starts to "puff"/bubble up. Flip the tortilla, sprinkle honey and cinnamon/sugar and fry for another 1-2 minutes. Once the tortilla starts to puff/bubble up again, remove the it from the skillet. Top with whipped cream and/or ice cream and serve immediately.


2 comments: